Saturday 2 February 2013

'30 Days of Creative Inspiration' Day 3: A Trip to the Library

I didn't post yesterday. Tsk tsk. It was a busy day, but I still found ways to get inspired.

My inspiration yesterday, was this: The Library is AWESOME.

Every time I go to the Reference Library, I'm surrounded by a sea of giant blue books filled with sheet music, and every time, I ask myself, "Why don't I visit the library more often?"Not to mention, the oodles of classic and contemporary plays, librettos, and scores that take up this little haven on the 5th floor.

I feel inspired to work harder, and to explore new things every time I'm at the library, but lately, I'm there just to print sheet music for auditions, and I don't leave time to just go have fun and see what there is to find. Yesterday, after printing some sheet music, I decided to take time to read a libretto. I chose 'Flora the Red Menace', the first collaboration between Kander and Ebb. Back in July when I did the Banff Summer Musical Theatre Intensive, the director, Amy Rogers (wonderful woman), had told me I need to sing more Kander and Ebb, and two songs she recommended for me were from 'Flora'. Apparently, the libretto wasn't so great when it was originally staged in 1965, although the show marked the Broadway debut of the iconic Liza. The new book was written in 1987 by David Thompson, which was conceived off-Broadway at the Vineyard Theatre. I feel such a rush every time I discover a new show that I know I'm going to fall in love with, and this was one of them. I can see why Flora's songs were recommended to me - she's such a fantastic character, and I see so many similarities in our personalities (attempting to join the Communist party aside). So, thanks Amy!

There you are, Day 3.... a little late. Day 4 to come later today!

Sidebar - The Banff Summer Musical Theatre Intensive that I mentioned earlier is happening again in July! And the wonderful Amy who I speak of will be on the faculty again. If you're a performer and you need a little inspiration yourself, I cannot speak highly enough of this program. Two weeks in the most beautiful place on Earth, with some of the most amazing faculty that the business has to offer. Get into it, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment